Follicular Unit Extraction is an advanced hair transplantation technique where donor grafts are harvested manually and directly from the donor site, without involving cutting and stitching of the scalp skin. A specially designed punch tool of diameter less than 0.1mm is used for graft extraction. This punch tool causes tiny, pinhole scars, thus saving you from a notable liner scar, which is trademark of the strip method transplant. Since there is no cutting or stitching involved, FUE Hair Transplant is regarded as the minimally invasive hair transplant technique.
Who is a candidate?
Like FUT, anybody bothered by baldness and seeking minimally invasive hair restoration can opt for Follicular Unit Extraction in Dubai. But there are certain conditions that you must meet to be an ideal candidate.
- Donor hair supply: A must for all hair transplant methods, since you can’t borrow hair from your family members, like most people do in case of a kidney transplant.
- Body hair transplant: FUE technique has an advantage over traditional hair restoration methods in UAE and that is its ability to harvest donor grafts from body parts other than your scalp, like the chest, back or inner thighs.
- Scalp laxity: With FUE hair transplant available, tightness of scalp is no more a hindrance. Even individuals with tight scalps can benefit from FUE.
- Hair Loss must be permanent: FUE does not treat temporary hair shedding caused by hormonal fluctuations, such as low levels of estrogen caused during or after pregnancy.
- Hair loss must be under control: hair transplantation, all types, is not for people whose hair loss is still progressing, since the results do not last for long and most patients have to undergo multiple surgeries to achieve desired thickness and hairline appearance.
What is the aim of FUE hair transplant?
Enhancing your physical appearance is the ultimate goal of FUE hair transplant in Saudi Arab, UAE or any other part of the world. The technique achieves the target by:
- Restoring lost hair in minimally invasive way
- Avoiding the telltale linear scar that comes as unwanted gift with FUT method
- Minimizing the recovery period and post-surgery downtime
Are there different FUE techniques used?
Follicular Unit Extraction has evolved a lot over the last few years. Two most commonly used FUE techniques are:
- Manual FUE – donor grafts are harvested using a manual punching tool
- Motorized Automated FUE – donor grafts are harvested using specially designed automated punch tool which allows graft extraction and plantation with unmatched speed and precision
How to prepare for FUE Hair Transplant?
Preparing well is the key to any procedure and Follicular Unit Extraction is no different. Here is a list of things that you should avoid as you get ready for the surgery:
- Stop taking blood thinners 2-3 weeks before surgery
- Quit smoking at least three weeks prior to the transplant
- Say no to alcohol and caffeine 3-5 days before your surgery is scheduled
- Get your tests done and reports submitted 2 weeks before surgery
- Fill in prescriptions (both painkillers and antibiotics) at least a week before surgery
How the procedure is performed?
- Preparing donor area: First of all the surgeon shaves and mark donor area for graft extraction
- Local anesthesia (donor site): The second thing is numbing the donor area before graft harvesting to make the procedure painless. Local anesthesia is administered to the donor site.
- Extracting grafts: Using a small punching tool, the surgeon then extracts follicles one by one and stores them in an artificial medium like saline solution to keep them alive.
- Preparing grafts: the harvested grafts are handed over to technical staff to trim them to the desired size and shape. This is done carefully under a powerful microscope.
- Local anesthesia again (recipient site): to make the entire procedure virtually painless, local anesthesia is again administered (recipient site) before preparing the recipient area.
- Preparing recipient site: the surgeon makes tiny incisions in the recipient area at specific angles
- Graft insertion: prepared grafts are carefully placed in the incisions to conclude the surgery
What to expect after FUE Hair Transplant?
- Your scalp will remain sore, slightly bruised and tender for 2-3 days
- Apply cold compressions to alleviate pain and swelling
- Start taking prescription medications immediately after the transplant
- Sleep in an upright position with head alleviated at 45 degrees at least for the 3-5 days
- Transplanted hair do not grow overnight, it takes at least a couple of months
- Transplanted follicles shed after a couple of weeks, don’t fret, it’s normal
How to recover well after FUE Hair Transplant?
- Do not wash your scalp for a couple of days at least post transplant
- Avoid blood thinners for 2-3 weeks post transplant
- No smoking for another couple of weeks at least
- Refrain from alcoholic and caffeinated drinks for a few days after surgery
- Tanning and sun bathing are strictly prohibited for 3-4 weeks
- Touching your scalp unnecessarily is strictly prohibited and so is scrubbing and scratching scalp
Benefits of FUE Hair Transplant:
- It is less invasive: no scalp cutting or stitching is involved
- It does not cause visible scarring: since no cutting or stitching of scalp skin is involved, no prominent scar forms
- It allows body hair transplant: If you don’t have sufficient donor hair on scalp, FUE technique allows harvesting grafts from body parts such as chest or back of the patient
- It involves quick recovery and less downtime: Since no notable wounds or scars are formed, healing is quite quick. Most patients usually resume routine work on the 3rd or 4th day of surgery
How long the results will last?
Since balding resistant follicles are used, expect the restored hairline to remain for the rest of life. However, like a normal healthy hair, transplanted hair also undergo seasonal hair fall. But that is just temporary and hair regrow at their own.
Where to Get FUE Hair Transplant in Dubai?
Hair Transplantation Dubai Clinic is the most trusted provider of top quality FUE hair grafting in the Gulf benefiting patients from Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Oman, Kuwait and all-across the world. To Book a Free consultation fill the form on our website or call our clinic.